• Increase Text
  • High Contrast Mode

Safeguarding Leaders Network Meeting – 11 June – Minutes and Resources

Action and discussion points Action – Network: Collect examples of referrals and the feedback received (or lack thereof) Action – Network: Contact Heena.Butt@southwark.gov.uk with suggestions for information that would be useful to see on the Council’s safeguarding dashboard Action – Network: If interested in the training available as part of the Council’s suicide prevention project, […]

Action and discussion points

  • Action – Network: Collect examples of referrals and the feedback received (or lack thereof)
  • Action – Network: Contact Heena.Butt@southwark.gov.uk with suggestions for information that would be useful to see on the Council’s safeguarding dashboard
  • Action – Network: If interested in the training available as part of the Council’s suicide prevention project, please contact Layla.Glover@southwark.gov.uk and Paul.Hudson@southwark.gov.uk.
  • Action – Community Southwark: contact London Communities Emergencies Partnership (LCEP) partners such as the Faiths Forum for further discussions on guidance and support around extremism
    • IN PROGRESS
  • Action – Network: contact Community Southwark if you have done any work on planning for emergency situations (especially around safeguarding for volunteers), or have any ideas to share
    • ONGOING
  • Action – Community Southwark: Keep item on the agenda for future meetings about planning for emergency situations and safeguarding for volunteers
    • ONGOING
  • Action – Community Southwark: create survey to find out which My Learning Source courses are most helpful / needed by VCS
    • IN PROGRESS
  • Action – Community Southwark: Look into creating safeguarding peer support group. Also to consider how could we better capture data on the impact of this network (e.g. could there be more training, could these network meetings happen in person to offer more opportunities for peer support).
    • IN PROGRESS
  • Action – Network: contact social prescribing teams for more information about training and guidance on social prescribing (North Southwark: Qhs.socialprescribing@nhs.net; South Southwark: Ihl.socialprescribers@nhs.net)
  • Action – Community Southwark: Put Intro to Social Prescribing on agenda for next meeting, to help organisations understand process and make links.
    • IN PROGRESS

Network matters

  • Update from Southwark Safeguarding Children’s Partnership (SSCP) on the review they are conducting about their working processes
    • This review comes in the light of the new Working Together to Safeguard Children which was published in December 2023 as country-wide guidance
    • Support functions for the SSCP in the council have transferred from the Community Safety Department, to the Children and Adults Department, and there have been some changes to key staff supporting the partnership
    • The review will consider the structure, functioning, funding and staffing of the SSCP to fulfil its role. It will consider this alongside how what the Southwark Safeguarding Adults Board needs to undertake its work, as the support functions are integrated.
    • The review is planned to be undertaken over 14th, 15th and 16th May – no further update on this has been sent yet since the dates passed
  • New e-learning on cuckooing available on My Learning Source
    • The need for cuckooing escalation pathways and protocols for adults, similar to those in place for children has been discussed, as well as multi-agency working – a risk register to address concerns and formalise processes to the SSAB is going to be presented to the SSAB, and the need for a multi-agency coordinator will be raised at the safeguarding exec meeting.
  • Multi-agency Cultural Competency pilot training sessions are taking place, with encouraged participation, particularly those in frontline roles. Book on to the training here
  • Right Care, Right Personevent presenting how the policy is working in practice
  • Safeguarding Level 3 training dates are up on My Learning Source:
  • Additional comments:
    • Ross was contacted by Pauline from Southwark Day Centre for Asylum Seekers, about concerns of treatment of some of their participants. Ross wrote to independent chair and senior officers (inc Cllr Jasmine Ali) – both responded quickly to say they would look into it, hopefully they would have a meeting with Pauline and more info will follow soon.
    • Action – Ross: Ross to remind Chair of SSAB Board

Special topic/presentation – Tracy Young from Southwark Council

  • Tracy is a new permanent appointment and keen to remain as key contact. Her focus on adult safeguarding but can help pass on to child colleagues if needed.
  • Tracy highlights that there are a number of different safeguarding referral pathways for adults:
    • Older persons physical disabilities (OPPD)
    • Mental health services
    • Learning disabilities
  • Overall adult safeguarding website is in the process of being refreshed – and should be live very shortly. Have been working on it for quite some time, should be better and should be clearer.
    • Action – Network: check new website and feedback
  • Additional sources of referrals from forums such as:
    • MAPPA (multi-agency public protection arrangement) – probation led forum, around non-statutory safeguarding
    • MARAC (multi agency risk assessment conference) – often around domestic abuse concerns. This is chaired within Community Safety, representatives from adult and children’s services
    • Cuckooing forum
    • MAC – modern day slavery forum – but currently on pause
    • These meet regularly – effective forums for getting things done around housing, sharing information. Can initiate things under the legal frameworks they have.
  • Safeguarding referrals
    • Tracy knows that things aren’t working with referrals at the moment.
    • The referral form is changing and they are looking at an online referral portal, and an online referral form for OPPD (initially). No set timescales, on a trial basis.
    • Ross raises that this network would be a good place to get feedback on forms – people keen to shape next form – inc. COPSINS network
      • Action – Community Southwark: to follow up and request access to drafts for VCS feedback
    • Broader bit of work to extend or not extend to other services (LD, MH) – referral routes are currently quite different.
    • Tracy looking at referral stats going down – trying to find out why – do groups know what to do?
    • Diana uses an OPPD form (not confident that it is the most recent). Most referrals are ongoing issues, about carers (paid and unpaid) and the form doesn’t reflect the ongoing nature of it, so they end up having to do lots of narrative writing.
    • Often if confused Diana will call OPPD for advice / guidance – there have been varying levels of success and levels of support.
      • Action – Diana: to send form they use to Tracy, to check it’s the correct one
    • Tracy mentions importance of feedback and understanding that groups need it – partly due to workforce issues in OPPD contact centre – now improved staffing.
    • Minimum should be getting acknowledgement of whether it is or isn’t a safeguarding referral – Diana mentions that it’s not happening.
    • Diana provided example that urgent response around suicide ideation needed – so they called rather than emailed.
    • Tracy finishing up changes to internal safeguarding documents – including it is now mandatory to include feedback to referrer – launched imminently, beginning of July is timeframe. All new referrers from then should be told what has happened to their referral.
    • Tracy is happy to be contacted around specific issues that referrers feel have gone into ‘the void’ – happy to do some digging around – often the issue is around people not giving permission for information being shared.
    • Tracy acknowledged that the department is not meeting the Pan-London timeframe for referral responses. Referral to concern stage should happen same working day and through to enquiry should be happening within one to two months. This is not currently happening – risk is being mitigated, high risk referrals are being dealt with to that speed, but not all of them.
    • Recommendation to follow up referral with phone call if concern is high, to make sure it is picked up – especially if situation changes from original referral form – chase and escalate.
      • Action – Network: to follow up urgent referrals with phone calls to make sure situation is addressed.
    • Ross mentions the issues around forms needing to be done rather than do via a call, and how urgent situations need a different route – especially when they know it’s a safeguarding referral. Age UK have access to Mosaic but they are probably one of the only groups that have that. The absolutely urgent ones need the focus – same day crisis response.
      • Action – Tracy: to follow up with OPPD contact team manager (Ashley Cambridge) to see what can be done on urgent issues.
    • Ahlam mentions that child referrals tend to get picked up quickly, especially as they have contact details for key people to chase.

Discussion: how can we use this network for learning and development?

  • Ross idea about CS bidding to create some sort of simple / basic version of training for volunteers.
  • Can the council do a presentation and record it, so we can use it – as opposed to a formal e-learning module.
  • Collectively putting together an answer to the question Gemma raised
  • Do we ask Tracy to present the presentation she mentioned – as people are unlikely to read it?
  • Patricia mentions short videos are helpful, especially for older volunteers.
  • Gaye – mentions being smart about spreading work across different networks. Safeguarding is relevant to all of them.
  • Ross mentions that this network meeting is really helpful to get a sense of what the sector needs more broadly – helps give him a mandate for attending the SAB meetings.
  • Tama expressed gratitude for sharing information and knowledge about what else is going on in the borough – especially helpful when they are the only person in the organisation working in Southwark
  • Diana asked for their recent safeguarding procedures documents to be shared with the network for feedback – look through this document here

Read the full minutes: Agenda – 11 June 2024 + Minutes

Next meeting