Intro image: www.freeimages.co.uk
Here you can find links to sources of data about education in Southwark and across the UK.
Sources of data on education in London boroughs
These enable you to view Southwark (and often ward-level) data and compare it with that for other areas.
- The 2011 Census included information about people's economic activity (including students) and qualifications. Data can be compared across different areas and population groups and based on people's answers to other questions. For help on accessing Census and other ONS data click here.
- The GLA provides clear London-level summaries across age ranges often with borough-level data, including qualifications data.
- As well as overall deprivation, the indices of deprivation give scores for the dimension of education, skills and training at Lower Super Output Area level (a small neighbourhood area – see atlas), and by local authority. The last figures are from 2010 but new ones will be released in summer 2015.
- London’s Poverty Profile gives data for different London boroughs and includes a variety of indicators relevant to education (early years development, primary school availability, attainment at ages 11 and 16, and 19-year-olds lacking qualifications).
- London Mapper presents statistics in map format or as figures. The Education maps given data on numbers of children at different school levels, and whether they are native English speakers.
- Government statistics and reports can be searched by keyword, department (eg Department for Education) or topic (eg further education and skills, higher education, schools).
The following are national-level but often detailed statistics.
- The OECD’s profile of the UK gives national-level data over time, compared with other member countries. Data on education including spending levels and achievement in various areas.
- The Higher Education Statistics Agency gives data on student numbers, qualifications achieved, widening participation, non-continuation, academic staff, destinations and salaries of leavers, finances of institutions.
- The Student Loans Company gives an overview of student support for higher education, and data on student loans debt and repayment.
Reports about individual local schools
- For straightforward lists of local schools see http://www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk/leasearch.php?lea=Southwark, and for maps (primary/secondary) see http://www.educationquizzes.com/education-maps/southwark/primary-schools/.
- You can view individual schools’ attainment data and Ofsted reports.
- Here you can search for nearby schools by postcode, then see data on attainment at different levels, number of pupils, fsms, ofsted ratings and descriptions.