Margaret Jummy Taribo from Parent Skills2Go tells us about how the charity supports the community by providing services and activities for parents and carers of young children and young people.
Margaret Jummy Taribo
Parent Skills2Go CIC.
What does your organisation do?
Parent Skills2Go is an umbrella organisation for different community projects such as and including Little People’s World which is a voluntary led group. At Parent Skills2Go we provide activities, events, workshops, courses, trips, holiday clubs and afterschool clubs for families – parents with their children and young people up to the age of 17.
How does your organisation support and benefit the Southwark community?
Our organisation supports the community by providing support services and activities for parents and carers of young children and young people over 3 hubs in Southwark. Our events, workshops and activities are all designed to promote and help families and young people with their social, mental and economic wellbeing. We work in partnership with other professional, qualified agencies allowing for high quality services which build and develop personal skills in the home, community and workplace, for example gaining more confidence to participate and engage in other services.
What are you working on, is there anything you would like to highlight?
- ‘My child and Me’ is a 5-6 week program for parents and carers to support and develop their understanding of mental health issues in young children and is an early intervention tool for voluntary and statutory organisation
- Money Matters for parents and young people looks at a range of topics that support the understanding of money issues including budgeting, saving visits, investments, entrepreneurship, etc
- Sewing and dressmaking workshops for parents and carers looks at supporting the learning of traditional and not just the conventional way of sewing, including making old things new
- Skill development program focuses on learning and improving how volunteers or people who aim to be self employed use their skills in craft, or other fields in the community
- volunteer training/ workshops is about developing and improving and promoting how people can volunteer effectively to enhance their confidence and understanding.
- Plus a number of other program and workshops such as After School Clubs, Holiday Clubs, Yoga for Mums, Self-Defence Workshop for Mums/Women.
Quote from a beneficiary of Oasis Hub Waterloo:
”I really like what I have learnt about me being a better version of yourself and complaining less”- Maripaz
How did you hear about Community Southwark?
We heard about Community Southwark from another group and have been a member for 5 years.
What difference has the support from Community Southwark made to your charity?
We have had training and support with our volunteers, helping us to work with great, passionate and motivated people, and they have helped us to recognise and acknowledge the hard work and input of our volunteers through events such as the Southwark Stars Awards. Community Southwark has also helped us to promote the work we do within the community making us a more visible community group.
How can people get support from your organisation?
Parents, Carers and children are all free to sign up to any of our workshops, via our app: www.parentskills2go.org.
Workshops and activities are mostly free. We offer free food and drink to the families attending our holiday clubs
If more help is required, we are happy to sign post people to other professional agencies, helping them to gain confidence to talk and find a way to tackle issues.
Would you recomend Community Southwark and if so why?
Yes – Community Southwark has helped put us on the map therefore becoming a viable, valuable and visible community group.
How can people find out more about what you do?
- We have a website: www.parentskills2go.com
- Register and sign up to our app: www.parentskills2go.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us on 07507443737
- Look out for us in school news letters
- We have a yearly AGM
- We attend meetings, talks and coffee mornings.
- Through Community Southwark and other community groups
- Just come and see us we’re based at the L&Q Lewington Centre, 9 Eugenia Road, London SE16 2RU. Or visit one of our other activity hubs during the holidays.
Want to feature in a Member Spotlight?
If so, please fill in our Member Spotlight form here and we will be in touch to tell you when your article will feature on our website, ebulletin and social media channels.
For any queries, please email: email@example.com