The Dragon Café is based in Southwark, London, and is the flagship project of Mental Fight Club - a charity with a reputation for running inspirational creative events and projects around mental health and wellbeing.
The Dragon Café is open Mondays only from 12 midday to 8.30 pm, and has around 200 guests each week. The Dragon Café is open to all, providing a safe, stimulating creative space with art on the walls, freshly prepared vegetarian food from the kitchen and a wide range of creative groups happening throughout the day - all free and open to all. Daytime groups have included writing, art, tai chi, boxing, mindfulness, gardening, dancing, singing, drama, film making and drumming. The evening events can be performances, creative talks, discussions, dancing or games nights!
What day: Mondays
How many hours: 3 Hours a week
Minimum Commitment: 3 Months
Where: The Dragon Cafe, Borough, SE1
Purpose of role
We offer a range of roles which may be new to you or which may build on your existing skills, whichever you prefer.
Main activities/ tasks:
- Providing a warm welcome on reception - various shifts
- Meeting and greeting new guests - various shifts
- Setting up our creative areas - 9.30am - mid-day
- Packing away our creative spaces 6pm - 9.30pm
- Assisting in the ArtSpace - various shifts
- Serving delicious food and drinks from our friendly vegetarian kitchen - various shifts
- Learning technical support in lighting, sound and stage management - various shifts
- Keeping the creative show on the road as a Creative Volunteer - various shifts
Most shifts are around 3 hours long and take place between 8am – 9.30pm.
Who are we looking for?
No particular experience is required
- A willingness to learn and a willingness to commit to regular, weekly volunteering every Monday
- Good physical health and a willingness to listen to and learn from shift leads and peers.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Creative, adaptable and flexible with a "can do" attitude
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Your very own bespoke Dragon Café T Shirt
- Induction and on-the-job training
- Free food and drinks from our delicious kitchen
- Travel expenses reimbursed up to £10 per day with full receipt
- Free bespoke training days covering the essentials plus our mindful working ethos, roles and boundaries. Acreditted training in First Aid/Food Hygiene & Manual Handling
- Assistance with required references
How to Apply:
- If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering with us then come to The Dragon Café any Monday for 1pm and ask to speak to Lu Firth, the Volunteer Lead.
- No need to book, just turn up on the day.
Find out more/apply
Contact Details: Lu Firth - Volunteer Lead- firstname.lastname@example.org