The Florence Nightingale Museum are recruiting volunteers to help bring their collection to life and tell the story of Florence Nightingale. Volunteers will support staff to play a vital role in the daily running of the Museum. They will help to engage diverse audiences and provide our visitors with an excellent visitor experience.
When: one or two 4-hour shifts per week for a minimum of 3 months. A regular pattern of days is preferred with some degree of flexibility negotiable.
Shifts are half days (13.00-17.00) Monday – Friday and either morning (10.00-14.00) or afternoon (13.00-17.00) Saturday and Sunday. Shifts during school holidays may vary.
Main tasks and activities of the role
- Assist the Visitor Experience team by facilitating short 15 min introduction tours to visitors
- Facilitate object handling sessions with visitors
- Meet and greet visitors
- Help the museum gain an insight of its audience by encouraging visitors to take part in visitor surveys and recording visitor engagement data
- Assist the retail team in promoting the museum guide book to visitors
- Assist the retail and admission team at operating the welcome desk and till to cover lunch breaks
- Assist the learning team in setting up and clearing away school sessions
- Support the learning team with the preparation and facilitation of holiday activities for families
- Occasionally usher at evening events and represent the museum at outreach events off-site
- Carrying out other visitor engagement activities as required on the day (training or briefing will be provided where necessary)
- Contributing to the upkeep and visual appearance of the museum by keeping it clean and tidy for our visitors
Find out more/ apply