Southwark Pensioners Centre (SPC) support older people to lead fulfilling lives improving their health, well being and quality of life. We promote the development of an inclusive community in Southwark in which older people support each other, are independent, active and in touch.
They are looking to fill variuous roles:
1) Activity volunteer
They are looking for Activity Volunteers to help run activities at the centre, including booking people onto courses, making sure that refreshments are available and that the rooms are set up etc.
- Help and support our members to take part in activities
- Encourage participation – this may be by contacting users and letting them know of the plan for the next session
- Chat to members and users
- Help prepare equipment and materials in advance of the activity taking place
- Help get the room ready and clear up after
- Help take the register
- Take part
- Help plan and develop activities
You’ll offer advice, information and support to members and users who want to get online and learn how to use a computer for the first time, or improve their confidence with the basics. Tasks could include some or all of the below:
- Help service users learn the basics e.g. teaching someone how to use Google, use the mouse and keyboard or set up an email account.
- Help service users understand the benefits of getting online e.g. showing them how to search or apply for a job online, shop and bank online or use Skype to connect with family and friends.
- Assist training providers during sessions by giving extra support to learners, and supporting service users during IT open-access drop-ins.
- Act as an advocate of the benefits of being online.
- Offer informal advice on keeping safe online e.g. guarding against identity theft, phishing and scamming
Who are we looking for?
Our volunteers need to be:
- Friendly, helpful, kind and caring
- Able to treat people with dignity, empathy and respect
- Able to understand and respect the personal values, culture and beliefs of members and service users
- Able to work as part of a small team
- Well organised
- Punctual and polite
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- You will gain the personal satisfaction of knowing that you are making a significant difference to the lives of older people helping them to be as healthy, as active, as independent and as connected to their communities as possible.
- You will meet new people and try new things
- You will learn new skills and be part of a team
- You will have fun!
- We will offer you a general induction about volunteering at Southwark Pensioners Centre and training and support about the role itself
- A named supervisor
- We will also offer you the chance to meet the other volunteers every three months to share your experiences, give us feedback and find out more about what’s going on at the centre
- Reimburse reasonable expenses in line with our expenses policy
Find out more/ apply!
Contact Kay Kelleher email@example.com
Or click here for the application form