As a recovery college tutor you will be leading a guitar group. You will be guided by the values of the Recovery College and at its heart, encourage participation from all learners.
When: 2 hours per week Mon- Fri between 10am – 5pm
Where: 33 Rushworth Street, London SE1 0RB
Where will I be volunteering?
The Recovery College is a pioneering, inclusive learning programme, based on the principle that learning can be a transformative experience. Unlike at traditional colleges, the main focus is not on achieving a qualification. Instead, the Recovery College provides a supportive educational environment in which our clients have the opportunity to sample a wide range of subjects and wellbeing activities alongside a diverse group of peer learners and volunteer tutors.
The courses focus on helping people with their recovery by providing opportunities to learn new skills, make new friendships, build confidence and inspire others.
What will I be doing?
As a recovery college tutor you will be leading a guitar group. You will be guided by the values of the Recovery College and at its heart, encourage participation from all learners. We believe that everyone has strengths, and you need to be able to facilitate sessions in a way that are inclusive and empowering.
Working with the clients, you can tailor the sessions to meet the needs of the participants and take a creative approach to how these are facilitated.
Volunteers should meet the following criteria:
- Have experience teaching or a passion for guitars.
- Passion for enabling others to explore creativity through music.
- Ability to see the best in people and to motivate individuals in a learning environment.
- Understanding of the causes of homelessness and its impact.
- Ability to work with people who may have offending behaviour, substance use and/or mental health, with sensitivity and respect. We particularly welcome applicants with experience of using and moving on from support services.
- Willingness to attend training to develop you in your volunteer role.
What support will I receive?
- Induction training to prepare you to volunteer and access to additional training.
- Regular support from your volunteer supervisor.
- There is a dedicated Volunteer Services team to support your volunteering.
- Out of pocket travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Would you like to help?
Contact Peter Sheerin: