Living with sight loss can be lonely and isolating, causing many to revert into themselves only making this issue worse. The British Wireless for the Blind Fund aims to ease these feelings by providing the joy of sound along with the companionship of radio.
We supply specially adapted audio equipment to those who would not usually be able to afford it, on a free loan to visually impaired people all across the UK.
When: 2-4 hours during the week
Where: Southwark and Neighbouring Boroughs
Purpose of role
This role involves visiting blind and partially sighted people in their homes, installing their new radio and teaching them how to use it as well as proving ongoing support, where needed.
- Contact recipients by phone to agree appointment time
- Visit people in their homes and install our audio equipment
- Give instruction and demonstration of the equipment
- Complete paperwork for each visit
- Make follow up telephone call, and if required arrange further visit and training
- Collect broken sets and arrange repairs
- Deliver replacement sets to existing clients
Who are we looking for?
- Someone patient
- IT knowledge an advantage but not essential
- Good communicator
- Ideally able to drive but not necessity
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Full training
- Full expenses
- The chance to gain valuable experience within a national charity
- Provide support to blind and partially sighted people within their community
- Full training and ongoing support provided
- Mileage and expenses paid
- DBS enhanced check required for this role
- Interviews will be held locally