Bell House are teaming up with English for Action (EFA) to provide free ESOL classes for refugees and migrants in our local community. EFA are currently delivering 25 free courses with partner organisations across London Bell House will be working with an EFA facilitator to run a 12-week ESOL pilot programme.The project coordinator will oversee the running of this programme communicating with all parties involved (EFA, refugee and migrant groups, Bell House volunteers) to ensure classes run smoothly each week
What day: Flexible
When: Starting January 2020
Minimum Commitment: 2+ hours per week
Where: from home with travel to Bell House, Dulwich SE21 7BG
About Bell House
Bell House is an educational charity that offers support outside the mainstream school curriculum, lifelong learning, short courses, exhibitions, talks and musical events. The house is a centre for educational needs such as dyslexia support. We champion wider learning courses for all age groups, offering children and adults the opportunity to unleash their creativity or engage with subjects they have never tried before. There are free events and bursary places available on all our courses.
- Outreach: the volunteer will develop our relationships with local refugee and migrant organisations to recruit class participants
- Liaison: the volunteer will be the main Bell House contact for all communications with EFA, working closely with them to finalise class details and to support the class facilitator with logistics
- Management: the volunteer will work closely with the Bell House Volunteer Coordinator to arrange volunteer support for the EFA facilitator and organise class activities with relevant volunteer activity leaders
- Development: contingent on the success of this pilot programme, the volunteer will work with EFA to secure funding and develop the project hereafter
- Communication: the volunteer will update the Charity Manager on how this project develops. The Charity Manager will also be on hand to support the volunteer with any challenges they may face.
Who are we looking for?
- Creative thinking and positive attitude
- Independent with high levels of autonomy
- Organised individual able to work to an appropriate timeline to get things done
- Driven & caring
- Previous experience in project/people management desirable but not essential
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Making a difference in the community and working in an area where support is very much needed
- Meeting new people via Bell House’s regular volunteer lunches and events
- Project management skills
- Useful experience for someone pursuing a career in the charity sector
- The opportunity to take ownership of a meaningful project
- The volunteer will receive an extensive handover from Hannah, the current project coordinator
- As a volunteer-led charity, Bell House has a strong volunteer support network including regular email updates and volunteer lunches
- Travel expense can be reimbursed when the volunteer needs to travel to Bell House
To apply or find out more contact:
Hannah Kirwan by email email@example.com.