South London Cares is a community network of young professionals and older neighbours hanging out and helping one another in our rapidly changing city.
Their Love Your Neighbour programme is a friendship matching scheme, bringing young professional volunteers (usually in their 20s and 30s) together with their older neighbours (aged over 65) to spend time one-to-one each week. Friends will normally enjoy a cup of tea together and have a natter about all sorts – from work to relationships to days gone by. Both the younger and older neighbour benefit from the opportunity to spend time together.
What day: Flexible
How many hours: 1-2 hours per week
Minimum Commitment: 6 months
Where: Across Southwark
Weekly one-to-one friendship visits with an older neighbour in your area.
Who are we looking for?
- Energy, perseverance & listening skills: due to isolation, some older people in the Love Your Neighbour programme are out of practice at the back-and-forth of conversations. At first, volunteers might need to ask a lot of questions to keep the conversation flowing.
- Reliability: this is key to building trust and strong friendship. Being let down can exacerbate feelings of loneliness for the older neighbours on the programme.
- Empathy: showing understanding to your older neighbour when they’re going through difficulties or changes in circumstance.
- Neighbourly gestures: think creatively about how to bring joy and new experiences to the person you’re matched up with.
- Looking out for your older neighbour: practical help that you might offer to a friend, such as changing lightbulbs or connecting to local services.
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Spend time with an older neighbour in your community on a regular basis.
- Feel more connected to your local area.
- Share stories, laughter and conversation.
Find out more/ get involved!
Please get in touch with Oliver, the Love Your Neighbour Programme Coordinator for Southwark at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07921439479.
They look forward to hearing from you!