Would you like to help Kids in Museums make museums and galleries better for young people?
This is opportunity is for anyone aged 18-25 who is passionate about heritage and wants to make a difference for other young people. It offers the chance to develop new skills including social media marketing, event planning, budgeting, working as a team and collaborating with arts and heritage professionals.
What day: Flexible
Minimum Commitment: 2 hours per month
Where: Kids in Museums offices, CAN Mezzanine, 7 - 14 Great Dover Street, Borough, London SE1 4YR Or virtually
About Kids in Museums
We are a charity dedicated to making museums open and welcoming to all children, young people and families. We support and champion family friendly organisations through wide-ranging initiatives, including the Family Friendly Museum Award and Takeover Day. We invite heritage organisations to sign up to our Manifesto, which sets out simple guidelines for making museums easy to reach for all ages.
We know that young people, in particular 13-25 year olds are less likely to visit museums than those over 45 because they feel that museums aren’t for them.
Youth Panel members will have the opportunity to work with Kids in Museums staff as they develop new and existing projects to help museums all over the UK become more welcoming to young people and overcome the barriers that young people feel to visiting. They will be able to take part in
initiatives such as Teen Digital Takeover and Takeover Day, giving them a platform to share their views about museums and heritage with a wider audience. They will be able to feed back to our Young Trustees about our future plans and develop their own projects that support Kids in Museums.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who is:
- Aged 18-25
- Passionate about heritage and culture and keen to learn more
- Committed to enabling young people to participate more fully in culture and heritage
- Enthusiastic to learn new skills and have new experiences
- Digitally literate
- Confident about working in a group
- Reliable and able to commit time to Kids in Museums each month either online or in person
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
As a member of the Kids in Museums Youth Panel you may need to learn new skills to be involved with projects. These could include:
- social media marketing
- planning events for different audiences
- working with arts and heritage professionals.
The Kids in Museums staff team will support you as you take on these skills and ensure you are able to be confident in all the projects that you work on. The skills you learn will be things that you can include on a future CV.
Application proceedure and additional information
- Please send a written statement (no more than 750 words) or short film (no more than 2 minutes) telling us about why you love museums and one thing you would do to improve museums for young people.
- If you would like to submit the application in an alternative format or require additional support to make the application, please let us know.
- Email your statement to Alison Bowyer: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Youth Panel application. Please also include your full name, date of birth and contact details.
- Phone 020 3096 7707 for more information
- Closing date for applications is Friday 14 June 2019 at 5pm
- Youth Panel members will have all expenses met for participation in Kids in Museums projects.
- Certain projects may require a DBS check.
- Relevant training and an induction will be provided to all Youth Panel members.