Demelza Hospice Care for Children is a registered charity which provides support for families who have a child with a terminal condition. Demelza has hospices in Kent and South-East London and has a community team of nurses in East Sussex. Our volunteers carry out a vital role supporting staff in every area of the organisation. Help Demelza support those who may not live a long life to live a full life.
What day: All days needed
How many hours: Various dependant on the family
Minimum Commitment: 2 hours a week for a yeaar
Where: Various based on Family Locations
Purpose of role:
The role of volunteers in supporting families is to provide flexible practical and social support to children, young people and families, to spend time being there in whatever way can help most
- Practical support for families eg ironing, shopping, gardening, walking the dog, organising rooms, general tidying, decorating and DIY
- Administrative activities like keeping accurate records of visits to families and ensuring regular feedback to staff, assisting families with completion of various forms.
Who are we looking for?
- Aged 18+
- An interest in the wellbeing of children, young people and families.
- A good listener.
- Good at engaging and communicating with people.
- Sensitive to the needs of children, young people and families.
- Ability to use your initiative.
- Reliable, organised and flexible; able to work with changing situations.
- Willingness to undertake training to gain an understanding of the role.
- An ability to recognise the importance of and work within the boundaries of the role and within the organisation’s policies and procedures.
- An understanding of the importance of safeguarding and of confidentiality.
- Warm, friendly, approachable and a sense of humour.
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- Enjoyment of meeting a variety of new people
- Gain new skills and experiences
- Opportunity for others to learn and benefit from your skills and experiences
- A huge sense of satisfaction in knowing you are helping others and making a difference
- Full Training
- Acknowledgement that Demelza would not be able to offer the services and care to families without the commitment of volunteers!
Find out more/ apply!
Mary Goodger / Jenny Monkhouse, 01795 845200, email@example.com