Visit www.southwarkcan.org to sign up and find out about your next CAN meeting!
Bermondsey and Rotherhithe share a Community Council area within Southwark. Both are areas of the borough that have seen huge amounts of change in recent years although each has very different communities.
- Together, Bermondsey & Rotherhithe have the highest proportion of both 25-29 year olds and 30-34 year olds in the borough at 16% and 13% respectively; peaking in Rotherhithe's Surrey Docks ward at 18.9% and 18.2%;
- Their proportion of White residents at 63% is above the borough average (of 54%);
- The proportion of Asian/Asian British at 12% is above the borough and national average, but the proportion of Black/African/Caribbean/Black British residents at 17% is below the borough average of 27%
- Surrey Docks ward continues to contrast with other parts of the borough:
- only 20.6% of people in Surrey Docks are economically inactive, compared to an average of 25% across the community council area and a borough average of 27%;
- only 8.3% in Surrey Docks are benefits claimants, compared to a community council area average of 13%
- only 24% in Surrey Docks are living in socially rented accommodation, whilst home ownership levels at 40% are amongst the highest in the borough.
Southwark Council has prepared profiles for each Community Council area based on the 2011 census: here is the profile for Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
How CAN we help? If...
- you have an idea for something you want to develop in your community;
- you want to know more about issues, activities, groups and networks in your area; or
- you are concerned about issues affecting your community;
then contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming events and news for Bermondsey and Rotherhithe
The following websites have great information about upcoming events in Bermondsey and Rotherhithe:
Southwark Council's "In My Area" website pages provide access to neighbourhood newsletter, local activities, meetings and consultations, and other associated local information.
- Canada Water Masterplan Consultation - There are big changes planned for the Canada water area. throughout February you can find out about the Canada Water Master plan and contribute your views.
Upcoming CAN Activities:
To find about your next local Rotherhithe Community Action Network Meeting visit the SouthwarkCAN website: http://www.southwarkcan.org/come_along
Engaging with the Council and other public and statutory sector bodies:
You can find a list of your local councilors here
Initial discussions with local partners and people have identified a number of issues of concern to local people and their communities, including:
- Planning and developments, and people being aware of and engaged in discussion about their areas;
- Affordable housing, the complexity of landlords in social and private rented sectors, need for more social housing;
- Traffic, congestion and effects of air pollution;
- Lack of provision for young people, spaces that they can “hang out” in; and drugs & drug awareness;
- People who are isolated, vulnerable, and who don’t know where to go to get help and support;
- There is also sometimes little awareness of opportunities amongst some residents for long established communities to develop.
Local partner groups and people engaged in CAN development discussions so far:
- Albion Street Community Charity
- Time and Talents
- Docklands Settlement
- I Live In SE16
- Riverside Ward Safer Neighbourhoods Panel
- Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society Community Choir
- Marian Farrugia, your local Community Council Development Officer