There are a number of advice agencies (listed below) operating in Southwark who can provide support and guidance to people who experiencing issues relating to their Universal Credit claim (and other benefit-related issues).

Please contact them if you have any enquiries about Universal Credit. If the issue is urgent and you would like a personal introduction then please contact or

Citizens Advice Southwark

The best place for organisations to go to find out more about the services that Citizens Advice offer is their website:

Here you can find out more about their digital support sessions - which help people to get online and manage their claims, and wider advice services.

If you want to speak to them directly you can contact their helpline on: 0344 499 4134.

They offer a drop-in service for residents seeking advice:

The also run an advice roadshow which tours the borough.


Southwark Law Centre

SLC provides specialist legal advice and, when focusing on welfare reform, it specialises in appeals to the First Tier Tribunal (Social Security and Asylum Support), Upper Tribunal, and Judicial Review cases. You can read more here.

In addition to specialist legal advice, the Law Centre can also offer provide advice to people with rent arrears.

It is worth noting that they don’t provide a drop-in centre – they take referrals from other agencies.

If you wish to make a referral please call them to discuss the case on 0207 732 2008

The Local Support Team

Southwark council has a Local Support Team who can offer residents help with:

  • improving budgeting skills
  • improving digital and computer skills
  • accessing benefits or financial help they might be entitled to
  • paperwork and filling out forms
  • welfare benefit form completion
  • extra help through the Council's Southwark Emergency Support Scheme if they are facing an urgent crisis, emergency or disaster
  • paying your council tax bills, if they are struggling due to illness or disability
  • problems claiming Universal Credit.

If you are helping someone who is vulnerable, or are experiencing financial difficulties, please direct them to complete the online referral form on the council's website which you can access here.

Alternatively the team can be reached by email and telephone:


Telephone: 020 7525 2434






The Child Poverty Action Group

CPAG offer a telephone advice service for organisations who may have a query around Universal Credit or other welfare issues.

If you are an adviser in the UK you can telephone their advice line on 020 7812 5231.

More details here.

They are also currently seeking case studies about UC clients which you can read about here:










Wandle Housing Support

Across all boroughs, Wandle Housing residents can be referred to their partner Citizens Advice Tenancy Sustainment Services through this link - - who will provide advice on: 

  • Income maximisation - ensuring residents maximise income – benefits, grants, reducing expenses  

  • Debt advice - overall financial position, understanding household expenditure, priority and non-priority debt 

  • Financial statements - financial capability and sustainable budgeting 

  • Ongoing support - including new queries and continuing budgeting support 

  • Help with initial Universal Credit claims if required 

  • Help with benefit cap/ spare room subsidy 

  • Non-dependent deductions 

  • Help in putting together a realistic budget sheet 

  • Grant/trust applications plus help with discretionary housing payments 

For specific, perhaps more complex, benefit issues (incl. reviews and appeals), Wandle Housing residents can be referred to their Welfare Reform team at

or for and initial discussion – and 020 8682 5386.