Bankside Open Spaces Trust is an environmental and volunteering charity, working with people to design, maintain and protect public parks, gardens and open spaces in London SE1. The team works closely with local people to ensure that open spaces are created and managed with the involvement of residents, community groups and businesses alike.
What day: Thursday 21, 23 and 24 June
How many hours: Minimum of 4 to 8 hours
Minimum Commitment: Minimum of 4 to 8 hours
Where: Red Cross Garden, 50 Red Cross Way, London SE1 1HA
About Bankside Open Spaces Trust
BOST was set up in 2000 by a group of local people with an aim to improve the area, making it greener and a more beautiful place to live and work. Since then the charity has helped to create and look after more than 45 individual parks and gardens in a relatively small area of built-up central London, following the river along from Waterloo in the west to London Bridge in the east. Each site is unique, with its own atmosphere, identity and sense of place.
They have received numerous awards including the UNESCO Man and Biosphere award, London in Bloom Champion of Champions and the MPGA London Spade for our community gardening partnerships.
About the event:
- Sunday 24 June 2018
- Bankside Open Spaces Trust
- will again host a street party as part of the nationwide
- ‘Great Get Together’, inspired by the late MP, Jo Cox.
- BOST are inviting all those who live and work in the area and those just visiting to get together to celebrate all that we hold in common.
- Last year, a record nine million people gathered across the UK.
- Bankside event broke all local records with over 4,500 people taking part.
- Massive day-long street party enjoyed by young and old.
- Performances across four stages, over 100 performers – youngest four, the eldest 96.
- Dog show, a bake off, an animal farm, wacky races, and many other festive elements.
- Watch a one minute video from the day here: https://vimeo.com/253106910.
- This year we expect over 5,000 people to come together and alongside the popular elements we will be adding some new ones.
Who are they looking for?
Local, keen creative individuals between the ages of 18- 65 who like to be part of a community event and is looking to gain experience working on large scale events.
People who are confident in engaging with the public, working with a team and working on community events.
People who can commit fully to the following dates:
- Thursday 21st June for training
- Saturday 23rd June to start set up of street party
- Sunday 24th June the day of the event
- Welcome the public to the event
- Handing out event guides and children safety wristbands
- Litter pickers
- Assisting head stewards with setting up and d-rigging
Who are we looking for?
- Ideal but not essential that you have experience working on outdoor events, festivals
- Team leading and/or team working skills
- Good listening skills
- Good with members of the public
What the volunteer would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
- acquiring new skills
- update for CV
- improving self confidence
- meeting new people
- helping to make a difference in the community
- induction arrangements to be confirmed at a later date